35 - Leveraging the Core Competencies in Your Favor
When you think about a school's mission statement, it often reads like a fluff piece. However, we explore how the mission/vision/values statements for professional schools have common threads that are linked to Core Competencies.
Don't forget that the role of the admissions committee is to find applicants who support their mission/vision/values. In this episode, we’ll focus on the defined medical school core competencies as they provide a framework that nicely overlaps with the desired competencies across the health professions.
Links to other resources on Core Competencies:
- Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students https://www.aamc.org/admissions/admissionslifecycle/409090/competencies.html
- hat Medical Schools are Looking for: Understanding the 15 Core Competencies https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/med-schools-looking-for-15-competencies/
- Real Stories Demonstrating Core Competencies https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/student/courtneys-path-medical-school/
- Behavioral and Social Science Foundations for Future Physicians https://www.aamc.org/download/271020/data/behavioralandsocialsciencefoundationsforfuturephysicians.pdf
- Competencies for the New General Dentist http://www.adea.org/about_adea/governance/Pages/Competencies-for-the-New-General-Dentist.aspx
- UT Health Houston SOD Competencies https://dentistry.uth.edu/students/docs/ddscomp.pdf
- Entry-level DVM Core Competencies http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/navmec/1/dr.janilkiw-entryleveldvmcorecompetencies.pdf
Robert Dahl, UTMB MS1, shares his insights (and stories) on how to bring your best self to the interview day. Some of the key points are to
Connect with us!Reach out if you have any questions or comments about the podcast.
Join our online communities to receive early access to the podcasts, ask questions and receive information directly from TMDSAS, professional schools and advisors.