45 - Freshmen Roadmap to Professional School: Finding Meaning through Personal Reflection
In the first episode of the Roadmap to Professional School series, Dr. Scott Wright (Executive Director of TMDSAS, JAMP, Texas Health Education Service - Research Center and Advising Network) discusses key areas freshmen should focus on mastering.
Here are some key points:
- The application to medical, dental, or veterinary school begins on Day 1 of college!
- During the transition from high school to college, you'll want to learn how to learn deeply. Making good grades does not equal learning.
- Take Gen Chem as soon as possible to stay in line with the sequence of courses.
- College is about growth and development. Reflect on why you're pursuing the activities you're doing, what you're getting out of the experiences, and how this will make you a better healthcare professional.
- Build your network. Engage with professors, TAs, peers, and health professions advisors.
- Keep a record of your activities and what you take away from these experiences.
- Think positively! You're on this road for the long haul.
Connect with us!Reach out if you have any questions or comments about the podcast.
Join our online communities to receive early access to the podcasts, ask questions and receive information directly from TMDSAS, professional schools and advisors.